Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Spinach linguine with cranberries and mushrooms!!!






Since my colossal cake baking day, I have pretty much decided to not bake cakes or anything sweet for that matter for another two weeks. I might break this law that I have laid out for myself, just because I love baking, but the only reason why I have made this decision is because the chopped up cake takes up half the room in my little apartment fridge and I don't think I  will be able to finish the entire thing anytime soon. So, instead of leaving my blog empty I have decided to put up the recipes of the food I make on a regular basis. This food is much healthier and is the typical meal I'd cook. Today I made something I'm sure my Amma would've truly enjoyed. For that matter, I think it's something my sister-in-law, Sanjukta would enjoy too. It's a simple linguine pasta that's quick to make and light on the stomach. I'm really bad at measuring how much of stuff I use while I cook general meals because I like quick no-fuss recipes that can be manipulated and changed according to the ingredients I have at home. Anyway, here's the recipe:

Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
  • 2-3 tbsps of finely chopped basil
  • A spring or two of fresh oregano (I'm proud to announce that I used the oregano that I grew in my little herbarium)
  • 1 packet of mushrooms
  • Crushed red chillies
  • A few tbsps of olive oil
  • A small bunch of spinach
  • Cranberries or raisins (I used orange flavoured cranberries, which are to die for!)
  • Spinach and chive linguine (If you don't find any of that you can use regular fettuccine and add a little more spinach)
  • A few tbsps of feta cheese
Directions:

  • Sautee the basil and garlic in a bit of hot olive oil.
  • Add mushrooms, spinach, crushed chillies and oregano.
  • Simultaneously cook the pasta on the side so that you don't waste anytime.
  • Add in the cranberries/raisins to the mushroom mixture and add a few tablespoons of water and olive oil to the mixture. Cook till mushrooms are done and you have a little sauce.
  • Strain the pasta and mix feta cheese into it.
  • Add the mushroom mixture to the pasta and garnish with parmesan cheese.
  • Done!

5 comments:

  1. I am hungry now!!!! man these ones o a daily basis! i want to be there!! missing you :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! Maybe we can soak the raisins in some orange juice to get the same effect as orange flavoured cranberries. Don't share this with Chris and Ami-they have eaten even our share of all the goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm.. love ur blog.. i have also started cooking all over again.. but afraid of eating all the good stuff and piling on the kilos on hubby and myself :D

    keep it coming... hugssss

    ReplyDelete
  4. True!!!I love pasta!!If you are cooking it for me, I won't give it a second thought.............It looks yuuuummmmmmmmmm.
    Missed your blog, as my pc was down!
    Love you.........

    ReplyDelete