Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Double Chocolate Fudge Cake with a Very Berry Filling!










You just know when your day needs chocolate. You wake up with this heavy feeling and you know something is missing. You try to focus on work but that Cadbury's ad from your late night TV session haunts you. You get this yummy smell of chocolate that seems to follow you everywhere you go and it reminds you of the sweeter things. You chug down liters of water hoping that your gym instructor was right. You're not having a chocolate craving; you're just thirsty! You push aside your thoughts of chocolate and try to focus on your work, but the thought of melting, ooey, gooey chocolate decides to not make it easy for you. After a while of ignoring these tempting thoughts I knew that the only way I could ease my chocolate troubles was by baking something extremely chocolatey. The strange thing about cooking is that the moment you're done, you feel extremely full. It's like as if watching the ingredients go in is as good as you eating an entire cake. It's strange but it's true at least for me. By the time I bake the entire thing I was far too full to even think about eating even one slice. I nibbled on an edge of my slice of cake and packed the entire thing back into the fridge. In between the symphony of ingredients, I managed to give myself a booboo on my finger! Due to sheer lack of mature looking band-aids at home I was forced to put my cupcake band-aid on. Okay, okay, I was just dying for a reason to put the cupcake band-aid on! Not that I purposely cut myself but I was just waiting for the day that I did get a booboo so I could put one of these handy-dandy, not-so-small cupcakes on my finger. 


The cake is a variation of a New Orleans double fudge cake. The cake is extremely moist, fudgy and decadent. I added some of yesterday's white chocolate frosting to the strawberry preserve to create a berry filling that cut the rich chocolate flavour. This way I got a nice mellow, summ-ery flavour instead. Hope you like it!

Ingredients:

Cake:
  • 1 cup butter 
  • 1/4 cup cocoa 
  • 1 cup water 
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk 
  • 2 large eggs 
  • 1 teaspon baking soda 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • 2 cups sugar 
  • 2 cups all purpose flour 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Frosting:
  • 1 and 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup white chocolate frosting blended in with some strawberry preserve



Directions:
 Cake
  • Cook first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until butter melts and mixture is smooth; remove from heat. Cool
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Beat buttermilk, 2 eggs, baking soda, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth; add butter mixture to buttermilk mixture, beating until blended.


  •  
  • Combine sugar, flour, and salt; gradually add to buttermilk mixture, beating until blended. (Batter will be thin)
  • Coat 3 8in round cake pans with cooking spray; line with wax paper.
  • Pour batter evenly into pans; Bake at 350 degrees for 22 to 24 minutes or until set.
  • Cool pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool layers completely.
 Frosting
  • Melt the sem-sweet chocolate and butter together.
  • Sandwich the white chocolate and strawberry mixture between the two layers of cake.
  • Apply the chocolate frosting over the entire cake sandwich.
  • The cake will look a little messy, but that's what a good double fudge chocolate cake should look like. 
  • Done! 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment